Hello Lovelies! I am Alicia from The Charity Wedding and I am excited to present another round of Blog Around the World with some of my favorite wedding bloggers! I recently helped organized a styled shoot using the theme of a Vintage Desert Safari. Each blogger will be showcasing a photo from the shoot and sharing some tips, advice, or just some pretty-eye candy for you to enjoy! Be sure to visit all the blogs to make sure you catch all the goodness! Thanks so much to all of the participants!
I am so excited to be taking part in this Blog Around the World feature! When I saw these books in the shoot I thought, "How cool to find such beautiful vintage books!" I always ran across them in the stacks at my university library, but then I thought, what about if you wanted a blank book for a scrapbook or a guestbook? They just don't come old, so you got to make them old! Below is the link to the instructions on making a new book look vintage. :-)
How to make a book cover look old
Here are my tips that I thought I would throw in when I made my own "old" book.
- You can use a dark or light cover book. With a dark cover book, I found that brushing the coffee over it is not necessary. The sand paper does a good job with the aging of the book. However, it does warp the cover a bit so it has more of that damaged old book. Still looks cool!
- You'll definitely want to do this over newspaper or something to protect whatever surface you are working on. Sanding a book gets messy!
- Use fine to medium sand paper. Too gritty might be too rough, too fine will make you have to work harder.
- Definitely do the sanding before the coffee staining. The dust from the sanding gets on the moist pages. Unless you actually wait for it to dry. (I was just impatient)
- Brush the coffee on the edges of the pages to make them look browned and aged with the cover.
- Burning the corners of the book wasn't necessary because the sanding did a good job on the corners. However, it may have a better appearance with a light cover book so you can actually see the result of the burning.
Here is the result of me trying the aging process out:
And another beautiful picture of the books from the shoot :-)
· Cupcakes: Handmade by Alicia
Check out others from Around the World to see more photos from the African safari shoot!
Bubble Rock Studios | Cap Classique | The Unreal Bride | Brancoprata | Bijoux Bride | Bridal Musings | The Oceanside Bride | Hey Gorgeous | Sparkle and Hay | The Perfect Palette | Oh Lovely Day | La Petitie Coquin | Brenda's Wedding Blog | Fab You Bliss | Landlocked Bride | Bowties and Bliss | A Paper Proposal | Engaged and Inspired | The Charity Wedding
Bubble Rock Studios | Cap Classique | The Unreal Bride | Brancoprata | Bijoux Bride | Bridal Musings | The Oceanside Bride | Hey Gorgeous | Sparkle and Hay | The Perfect Palette | Oh Lovely Day | La Petitie Coquin | Brenda's Wedding Blog | Fab You Bliss | Landlocked Bride | Bowties and Bliss | A Paper Proposal | Engaged and Inspired | The Charity Wedding




My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)
14 comments:
Books are my favourite things !! And old books-even better ! Cool post!
PERFECT post Melina! I love it! Thank you so much for being involved!
Great DIY idea! And I love old books - especially how they are getting a second life as props!
great DIY idea!!! love your post.
This is such a great idea! I love this DIY project!! And yes, those vintage books are great!
xoxo, Chrissy
The Perfect Palette
Love this concept! Such a creative idea! Books are so popular in vintage wedding decor nowadays, and I'm sure tons of brides will find this DIY useful!
Love love love this idea! This way you can use books that represent you as a couple ~ rather than having to rummage around vintage book shops for something vaguely suitable. Great post!
What a great idea!!!!! Thank you for sharing, love it!!
This is brilliant!!!! Seriously... Totally got inspired by your photo: you rock!
These books were actually old and borrowed from my Dad's library (I am sure he would have been very unhappy if I had damaged them at all). I will definately try the aging process though for future projects! This was such a fun shoot to be a part of!
Such a FUN idea Melina! I'm going to have to try this. Loved your post and I'm so happy to have been a part of this with you :-)
love it!!! i totally need to "age" some books for decor!!
Love the tip - such a good (and easy) idea!
Thanks so much for the tips on "aging" - the books look awesome!
Post a Comment