I figure I just need to lay it all out there as to what I have been going through. It isn't fair to post a few times here and there then go silent for weeks as if I have fallen off the face of the planet without explanation. And it isn't fair for me to not be honest with myself and with you on what I can and cannot handle right now.
When I started I needed a purpose, a sense of being
Back when I started this blog in November of 2010, I had just quit teaching and just got married. I was in a place where I wanted to be doing something that gave me a purpose and was something I loved doing. I was obsessed (still am) with weddings and I had (still have) dreams of doing event design. I started the blog, I started internships, and I felt like I had a sense of being. I'll never forget the moment when I was working at a wedding and it was the first time that I was working without being concerned about the time. I was enjoying myself and not counting down to the end!
I loved writing so the blog was a natural thing for me to share my passion with the world as well as learn more about the industry. My dream will be why I could never let go of wedding blogging. . .
Where I wanted to head and where I ended up
When figuring out my niche, I just focused on what I wished was out there for me. A wedding blog for the Christian bride. It is all too easy to get lost in wedding planning and lose sight of Christ and the meaning of the marriage. I want to be that go to blog for all of you looking for inspiration, for reality checks and for an escape from the stress of your own wedding.
I spent a year building up connections with industry pros, fellow wedding bloggers and building a following of over 800 tweeps and nearly 400 Facebook fans. I couldn't be happier! It was slow but it was steady and I feel lucky to get to be connected to all of you! However, it is a lot of work that a lot of people don't realize when they get into the blogging world. I have to be honest, after the New Year, I experienced a sort of burn out phase. Then going into the start of Spring, I had to get back into the groove of things but found that perhaps the horse I fell off of is a little too tall right now for me to climb. (I am a former English major/teacher, so bear with my metaphor! lol) You could say that right now, I simply cannot get back on that saddle without a ladder. Problem is I need to find the ladder. Wherever (whatever) that is.
I don't want to leave what I worked so hard to build nor do I want to turn my back on so many of you who have supported me through the past year and almost half! So I'm going to face reality. I'm going to have to stop trying to get on that horse and go find that ladder! This means that the blog will have to be different for a while. Call it Wedding Pickle Lite, lol. ;-p
The dreams I have for the blog
I still have dreams for this blog and I do not plan to let it go. However, if the timing isn't right, I cannot force it. I believe creative work, as this blog is for me, takes a life of its own. The blog isn't ready. I'm not ready. Maybe in due time the fire will rekindle, I'll find that ladder and I'll get back on the saddle! I have dreams to bring for your viewing pleasure in the future styled shoots and DIYs that I do around my house that can double as wedding decor.
What I've learned and am thankful for
I can't even begin to express my feelings on how blessed I feel to have learned so much about social media, blogging, networking, making awesome Twitter and Blogger friends, and being so touched and inspired by the photography I have featured. It is safe to say that what I have gained in the past year and a half is more than I could have ever imagined. It is something valuable and irreplaceable. I'm forever thankful for these blessings.
Where I am today
I've sprinkled in here and there how I have been taking a class to get my certification in personal training and how I have also been working out like it is my job. I will be taking that test in about a month, and starting my personal training business to finally have a job. Furthermore, my fitness has become a new passion, my therapy and I feel stronger every day physically and emotionally. I didn't ever think that I would want to be a trainer, but for now this fits in my life best and will allow me an income to support my dreams and is something I can take with me as I follow my husband's career around the country. Because of this new change in my life and body I've been busy studying and learning about the fitness industry. The studying is tough, and starting a business is freaking me out. I feel like I need to just focus on that more which takes up time that I cannot give to this blog.
What the blog will be for now
I'm not going to kick myself anymore for not being what I once was with the blog. I'm only going to post because I want to and not because it has to fit in a routine. There will be no more posts everyday and no more photography submissions via Two Bright Lights. The typical schedule will be reduced to occasional scripture posts, weekly love challenges, the occasional wedding inspired posts and the occasional ramblings/journal type posts of my struggles and growth in Christ in my marriage. I do still have some photography submissions in queue that I am super happy to share but for the time being, I will no longer be accepting new ones via Two Bright Lights.
I know I said I was going to start the weekly love challenges back in March, but I'm for real this time! I already have the first one ready to go! I can't wait to share it THIS SUNDAY! Whoo hoo!
Where you can find me always
I still want to be connected and I am ALWAYS on my social media outlets! As I transition to running a business, you'll be seeing my Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter names change to something more along the lines with my actual name!
- I'd first suggest you Like Wedding Pickle on Facebook since I am more often posting there and you can be sure not to miss anything new posted on the blog. There will be daily content for you there for sure!
- Instagram (weddingpickle) is where you'd likely just find things out of my daily life and many appearances of Mila, my beautiful Pug baby!
- Pinterest is literally my addiction. Seriously, I really think I have a problem. You think I'm kidding. I'm not. So you might as well follow me there to get inspiration. I typically pin tons of wedding stuff, inspirational quotes and fitness stuff.
- Twitter is something I need to get better at. Lately my tweets come from my posts on Facebook and Instagram, but I'm going to work on connecting with you all more on there!
So there it is. Please don't take this as a farewell because it isn't. I still am going to be here providing content that I hope and pray you will enjoy or find inspirational. When God gives you an outlet to touch others, one cannot walk away from that. I'm not leaving. In the mean time, please pray for me as I find that ladder! :-)
Thank you, thank you for reading this if you did! I love you!
Summary of just the announcement points:
- Posts will be reduced to at least 1-2 times a week, no longer posting on a daily basis
- No longer accepting new photography submissions via Two Bright Lights
- Bigger emphasis on Facebook page for content and sharing from me
- Name changes coming soon for Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
- Weekly Love Challenges start this Sunday! Be sure to Like Wedding Pickle on Facebook to get in on it!
~ Melina xo

My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)
4 comments:
Thanks for sharing Melina. I wish you the best in all your endeavors. I love your heart for the Lord and how you share it with your readers, so I'm glad you'll be continuing to do that. Go find that ladder, girl! xo
Melina, it's been far too long! I have been inspired by you from the early days of this blog and when you first featured my wedding. But more importantly, I am happy to watch your journey as you grow and as your marrige flourishes. I love that you inspire others to focus on striving toward a faith-filled marriage. I'm glad you had the courage to listen to your heart and to God, ultimately making this tough decision. He will continue to fill you with the grace needed to find your own unique path :)
Melina, you have been and continue to be an inspiration to me! I am looking forward to your love challenge posts and I will definitely be following along on Facebook. I remember last fall when I had to take a couple month hiatus from blogging, and it was soo hard but I knew it was what I had to do. "Sometimes on the way to your dream, you get lost and find another one!" (or something like that... haha) Anyways, you are awesome, and I am glad to know you as a fellow sister in Christ :)
I will, of course, miss your daily posts, but I definitely understand your need to change your commitment to the blog. It's a lot of work with very little tangible reward, and I know that I sometimes feel that pressure...obligation, to post daily. I will definitely continue following on Facebook, and I wish you all the happiness in the world!
Post a Comment