Photo by McGowen Images
I know from my own experience, I was a Baptist and my husband a Roman Catholic, and we argued a lot as to what church we would go to. Whether we would alternate, whether to let the kids decide where they wanted or to pick one way and go with it. Problem was, we couldn't decide.
Now, think about this for a moment. Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. It is all the same Christ that we accept as our lord and savior is it not? The son of God who died for all of our sins? Yep, same guy. Now, dealing with whole different religions is a whole different matter to deal with, but denominations of Christianity; it is the same thing.
We get caught up in how we want to worship, which house of worship makes us feel comfortable, which makes us happiest. But is it about you? Don't fool yourself into thinking that going to church is about the experience for you.
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? "I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve." - Jeremiah 17: 9-10
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ - Matthew 7:21-23
It should be about God. It took me a while to realize this and now I am comfortable going wherever is best for my family to really keep our focus on God. That definitely ended the arguing.
Go wherever you know will be a place that won't distract you too much. Don't go where is most popular, or most fun, or where most of your friends go. Go where God is first.
"Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son." - 2 John 1:9
Now for how you will conduct your ceremony? That will be your first test in compromise and fusing your lives together. :)
The Prayer
God, I realize that it doesn't matter where I worship so long as my focus is never taken off of you. Please guide my husband and I to a church home that allows us to keep you in the front of our lives. Lead my family to the home where we can best fulfill your plan for us.








My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)






2 comments:
Love this post! Amen sister!
Great post! My husband and I had many struggles with the ceremony portion. I love the prayer, and wish I had seen this post years back when days were filled with arguments.
Post a Comment