I loved this passage so much when I came to it that I had to share:
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. ~ Philippians 2:1-4
Then the study goes on to list examples of how a husband or wife can be selfish in their marriage. One got to me:
"The wife prefers to socialize with her friends, leaving the house in a mess."
Yep, it got me. Not that I am out and about with friends. I never really leave my house much at all. I just prefer to read blogs, browse Pinterest, catch up on Real Housewives of Atlanta and Beverly Hills, Workout, and nap. If you look at my house right now, my coffee table is a mess, and there is even a pile of towels I need to fold sitting next to me on the couch as I type this. :-/ (I'm so embarrassed to admit that!)
I have been selfish in my laziness at times. There is no reason that I shouldn't take care of my home better so that my husband can come home and feel relaxed. There is no reason that I shouldn't keep the dining table uncluttered and actually make dinner so that we can eat at the table together for that necessary 'us' time.
I love how the second section, "Love is a choice of the Will" talks about falling in love and falling out of love and how some people just give up when the love is gone. This has always been a pet peeve of mine for anyone thinking that falling out of love can be a legit excuse for divorce. If you fall out of love you were never in love to begin with. It was never love at all. Love takes work and a decision from both the husband and wife to work at it.
We are to love as Christ loves us. He died for us. If He can die for us, it shouldn't be hard to choose to keep working on a marriage. This is something you and your fiance should definitely be on the same page about!
What are ways we can show love for one another?
- Saying "I love you" at random times and not just when you are saying goodbye
- Telling the other person that you will always be there for them.
- PDA! Hold hands, kiss, and hug! (I love when my husband will just embrace me when I'm busy in the kitchen. As if to let me know he appreciates me without even having to say it. Makes me want to be a better wife!)
- Loving God :-)
Another good passage that I love because it describes the way that we should be wives and husbands:
The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command. ~ 1 Corinthians 7:3-6
Did you do the study? What thoughts do you want to share? If you didn't do the study, that's okay, we can still discuss what I talked about today! :-) Share in the comments below or take it to the Wedding Pickle Facebook Page!









My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)






0 comments:
Post a Comment