"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails" - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
I read an amazing article called "Considering Valentine's Day" that really goes into the reality of what love is and not the movie/tv version of what love is. Don't get me wrong, I love roses and candy hearts as much as the next girl, but I really wanted to bring the focus today to what love really is. Think about these lines of scripture:
"My command is this: Love eachother as I have loved you" - John 15:12
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life" - John 3:16
We love because He first loved us. We are told to love the way He loves us. That line in 1 Corinthians is such a wonderful definition of that Love. I want to give an example from my personal life that I feel shows that shift in focus of real Love.
My husband is currently in training for the Marine Corps so he is gone ALL THE TIME. He has wee hour morning days and late sun's-been-down-a-while nights. When he comes home, he is tired. He barely talks does a few things and then goes to bed. Needless to say, it can be lonely for me, right?
Nope, not for me. It is such a blessing for me to even get to be with him during this training time. I know there will be times when he will be gone and I won't get to see him AT ALL. So I take these moments with so much love and patience. Believe me, I pray everyday for patience. Not to see his current behavior as neglect, but as something to be proud of. My husband is serving his country and I couldn't be more proud.
So what if kisses are few and hugs are rushed. I know that my role as a Marine wife is to be his support. When he comes home, to tell him that I'm happy to see him. When he passes out in bed without saying goodnight, to simply kiss him as he sleeps and hold him.
My message to all brides is to realize that you are to support your husband so that he can be what God needs him to be. Save the nagging. Save the expectation of jewelry, flowers, candy. Just love him as God loves us.
And in the meantime, your man will surprise you. Heck, I didn't expect anything for Valentine's this year. He surprised me on Saturday with a reservation to a fancy restaurant!
So, God, you mean to tell me that I love him patiently without expectation and I get surprise giddy rewards in return anyway? I can deal with that.
God is good and if you let Him, He will work for you in your marriage. Food for thought.
Happy Valentine's Day and God Bless!


My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)
0 comments:
Post a Comment