Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
I thought to do this series because it seems when something is used a lot and is chosen by popularity or because it is the first one we know or because it is the perfect definition of what love is does not mean we know what it really means to apply it to our marriages. I decided to break this passage down to dig deeper of its meaning and application.
We begin with
What is patience? It is defined by dictionary.com as this:
–noun
1. the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, withoutcomplaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
2. an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay: to havepatience with a slow learner.
3. quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence: to work with patience.
How might we see this in our relationship and marriage?
- Not snapping when he didn't put the dish in the dishwasher after you asked him.
- Not getting angry when she is making you late to that party because she can't decided on her shoes.
- Not getting angry when the trash wasn't taken out or the bathroom wasn't cleaned.
- Not getting frustrated when he/she can't decided what they want for dinner.
- Waiting for that apology you want without nagging about not getting it.
Example Story:
Right now in my marriage it is a waiting game knowing if we are going to be moving to Florida at the end of the summer or not because of my husband being in the Marines. I have been building a life that I love here in Virginia/D.C. and it is frustrating knowing that it will end and not knowing when. I have had to exercise a lot of patience and prayer to not get angry because I know that when he knows, he will tell me. He can't do anything about it until they tell him. So we wait. Patience.
I want to build this series with many stories from all you! Email me at weddingpickle@gmail.com with a story you have for any of the other phrases from 1 Corinthians that I will be featuring in the future, or feel free to comment with any of your stories as each post in the series publishes. Next Sunday we will look at Love being Kind.
Do you have any examples or stories to share today for how Love is Patient? Do share!


My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)
1 comments:
Dear fiance is a car/racing man. We met because of our love for cars. Being together, I have seen how passionate he is for his hobby. He puts so much money into his car, and sometimes it gets VERY frustrating. I always manage to keep my patience with him though, because I know no matter how much money he puts into his car, our bills and needs will always be taken care of first!
Post a Comment