Today we get to meet:
April Dorsey Founder and Owner of The Dtales (www.theDtales.com) and I Do University (www.iDoUniversity.com)
1. First and foremost, tell us a bit
about yourself and what your site is about.
I always love when people ask me to “tell me about you”; it
really is hard to do! So let me
get to the fluff first lol. I love
Cupcakes, baking, loud music, exercising with my husband (well I enjoy his
company anyway- not so much the exercise part lol) and quiet time with my
Maltipoo, Coda. This was his puppy picture and tell me this, how could you NOT
fall in love!!!
I was born in Miami, pre-South Beach and lived there until I
left for college. I always love
going “home” with all the rich culture and ethnic food, and there are so many
wonderful wedding venues there! Plus It is a good way to get my Spanish
practice in.
The D-Tales Blog is tailored toward the bride who is DIY and
just wants to check out what I find interesting. So many of my brides have used
these ideas as their inspiration, so I get giddy when I see all the cool stuff
they do! I thought about coming up with the traditional “inspiration” blogs,
but honestly they are plenty in numbers so, why not just be me and post what I
like.
2. What is the
inspiration behind the creation of the site? I was really tired of
reading the fantasy blogs for wedding information that may not be
affordable. I prefer to listen to
my readers and give them a few bits of my sassy likes. I love educating too!
In fact, we saw a huge need in the industry for education
for brides. We created I Do University as a way for brides to access affordable
wedding planning with a professional wedding planner who guides you step by
step through the wedding planning process. We do this 3 ways- Online classes,
field trips to locations and via our own social network.. Our Orientation
classes are free and I encourage every bride to join us for a great course on
Budgets 101. The budget tool is so
easy to use and much more functional.
I just love to help brides out AND Wedding planning should be fun!
3. What is your
favorite feature of your site? I love the ability to tell you a lot
about so many things on my site (without advertising btw.) The site is fun,
sassy and totally me! (Yes, I do look like the girl in the avatar! Ok, well
that is what people tell me anyway lol. ) I also love the
social aspect of the internet these days.
From Blogs, twitter and ultimately Facebook. The information you read should NOT be static. How do you actually get useful
information from a “live person”? Look for me on Facebook (The D-Tales and
IDoUniversity) and ask away.
4. What is your
favorite source for finding wedding inspiration? I search terms not one site. I
never know what will inspire me. A great song, the smells of flowers…….. but
honestly, I love photography. I love a great photographer who can capture a
moment in time without having to touch it up too much. I follow a few photographers (who do
fashion AND weddings) that I just swoon over. Every time I see a new blog post from them, I just have to
sigh and share it!
When I am planning the weddings, I like to really get to know my
couples. This allows me to be
inspired by their childhoods, their dating, the proposal and what hobbies they
have. Finding a couple’s style, to
me, is the only way to know what advice to give them. I don’t like cookie
cutter weddings so I try to create a personalized wedding that guests will say
“OMG, that is so you”. Plus, it gives me a chance to
really become friends with my brides. Sometimes, I will go to a consult or
meeting with them just because we haven’t seen each other in a while.
Wanna know how our brides <3 us? Check us out on Wedding
Wire!
5. What is your
favorite thing about weddings? I love the romance! Seriously, there are
3 predicted tearful moments at every wedding 1) when I send a bride down the
aisle 2) The couple’s first dance 3) Father/Daughter dance. The funny thing is,
my husband knows exactly when the bride starts to walk because I always text
him “I love you…. sniff sniff”
Now I am gonna have to be honest with you, my second
favorite part of the wedding, is CAKE!!!!!! Yes siree, I am guilty as charged.
ALL of my brides know that I join them in the cake tastings so I can help them
(yeah right, now all my cake vendors will be on to me!!!) Plus I think the
wedding cake is such a focal point of the décor and a HUGE statement!
Now, my RULE…………NO CAKE SMASHING! Honestly, this is the last
reminder I give to my couples before their grand entrance (Have a great time;
don’t worry about a thing, and NO CAKE SMASHING lol.) In all honesty, if you understand the tradition behind the
“feeding of the cake” you can see why I might have an issue with it (WELL,
beyond the possible stain on the dress, which will then show up in every
picture, and mess up that lovely make-up job she paid for.) The feeding of the cake
is used to signify “nourishing the marriage!” so it really should be a moment
to respect. It is a time of joy
and commitment. I just find it blatantly
disrespectful and demonstrate a lack of respect for the one you have just
married….
Ok, so that might be MY little quirk but I totally stand by
it!
6. What is your
one piece of advice to brides? Other than hiring a professional (either
a Planner or a Day of Coordinator) I tell them to stop stressing and enjoy the
engagement. You have been dreaming
about this your whole life and it will zoom by. Take time with your fiancé to have wedding free dates! NO
talking about the wedding on the date!
The next thing would be to MAKE a budget and Stick to it!
You will enjoy the process much more (but if you have the budget for a wedding
planner, the savings are worth it -plus you will save time, energy and stress!
Trust me.)
April, thank you so much for letting us get to know you!











My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)






4 comments:
Great interview! Thanks for sharing :-)
What a wonderful resource for brides who want a full service wedding planner without the FULL cost! Great find!
Great article!
Thanks for sharing this, I loved her interview and will check out her I Do University, it's a great idea!
Post a Comment