I see options of pies, mini cupcakes, cookies, etc. I even see those desserts coupled with the wedding cake for guests. Call me old fashioned, but I am a big wedding cake person and I also believe that the wedding cake is all the dessert guests need because it is the star of the reception (other than the bridal couple!)
Of course, I am a lover of the other desserts. Ask my husband and he will tell you of a song I sing often, "I love cookies, I love cake . . . " I know some desserts other than a wedding cake might hold more meaning for a couple or show their personality better.
So let's talk! Tell me what you plan to do? An alternative instead of cake? What alternative? Or are you going to have both?
For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. - Romans 12:3-5








My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)






7 comments:
Great question, Melina!(love your blog by the way!)
We are finding that more and more couples want a smaller display cake, for the traditional cutting, and a dessert bar. A dessert bar offers so many advantages. Different flavors, and a beautiful display are not the least of them. Maybe the ability to be more creative is the draw of dessert bars.
Like you, I am a fan of the traditional Wedding Cake. I have always felt that we can design a cake that will be everything you could possibly want. But, I have also been around long enough to know that tastes and styles change, whether I want them to or not!
The other trend we are seeing takes us back to a much more traditional look. Spoon iced, or stucco buttercream is making a huge comeback. I love this look. It's beautiful, classic and reminds me of every cake my Mother used to make.
I am so glad that the stark, architectural look is fading away. I have always felt that a Wedding Cake should be warm and inviting, not cold and stark.
I think it could probably be easier on the budget to offer a bunch of small desserts and like you said you could serve some of your favorites so they hold meaning. We went with the traditional wedding cake for our wedding which I do not regret but I love the trend of mixing in other options!
It definitely is a budget helper to have other options other than the traditional cake. And I love the idea of a smaller display cake. I just couldn't go without the cake cutting pictures! Thanks for the trend alerts too Mr. Frostings!
i'm doing a pie display for a maine wedding in september - can't wait!!
I truly love your blog!
I have mixed feelings about this. As Mr Frosting said, I too am a fan of the traditional wedding cake and feel it is the star of the reception but times, trends, and people are changing. This makes it harder to stay traditional when so many other options are available to us. I'm not married, but being on the industry has shown me some things I may or may not want for my wedding day. I don't want the typical cake cutting and like the idea of my guests having mini wedding cakes, although this is often more costly. I also like the idea of having an ice cream bar, as not everyone likes cake.
Melina - I think you and I have the opposite problem. I don't really care for cake other than to look at all the gorgeous options that are out there. I do like SEEING wedding cakes at weddings though. And I like the new trend of having cake and something else like cupcakes or specialty candies along with it :-) Just my 1 cent opinion...
I agree with Stephanie. I love the look of cakes, but they're not my favorite to eat. Chocolate is. There will definitely be a chocolate fountain at my wedding. That's all I know for sure.
Post a Comment