However, we arrived to Florida and moved into our new home only to have had to wait 3 weeks before getting our stuff from the movers and getting internet. It was annoying sleeping on a blow-up bed, sitting in patio chairs and watching tv from a small screen meant for a bedroom. However, it also was a blessing. In that down time, I had I learned a lot. The biggest being was how to really spend quality time with my husband. We actually get this down time, I have him to myself and I realized I was taking it for granted. I know there will be days in the future when he is deployed that I will look onto these 3 weeks and be so thankful.
I decided to turn my experience into a post to benefit you. I've been there, so I know that planning a wedding can easily spiral out of control and just consume everything you do. You probably read all the time to take a time out and spend quality time with your fiance.
The Pickle: Okay, so you go to take the advice, but what should you do? Go out on a fancy date? Go on a mini-vacation? With a wedding looming ahead, you can't afford to spend much money.
The Solution: In those 3 weeks without internet, I learned what quality time really was. The things we did together in that time gave me ideas that I will share with you on how to really spend quality time. How to really put each other first.
![]() |
| Walking around Dupont Circle in DC on our wedding anniversary just before moving day. He never smiles, lol. |
2. Lay in bed - No, I don't mean sleep in! lol. Like I said before, we got bored with the tv so we would just go in our room lay in the bed and chat, talk, hold each other (sometimes that doesn't get done often) and play with the dog. It really actually felt liberating to get to lay in bed without feeling bad for not doing anything. Maybe you have a busy schedule but we all have lazy Sundays right? Get in bed!
![]() |
| Our little Mila playing in the blow-up bed with us. |
4. Text each other - We still had our phones and internet on our phones, but it got annoying browsing on a small screen that took forever to load! We could have just talked, we were right next to each other after all watching the same re-runs on our tv. But instead we texted to talk. I actually was fun because it felt like flirting. Give compliments, talk about dream vacations, talk about anything that doesn't come up in normal day-to-day talk.
5. Try new restaurants - We had no microwave, and no kitchenware. We couldn't make our own food so we had to eat out. We all know what the major national chains provide. We used the time to discover local places and try each one. We found new favorites and some not so favorites. All in all, it was an adventure not knowing what each place will be like. The next time you go out to eat, go eat somewhere you never been to!
Do you have some fun quality time things to do together? Do share!
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. - 1 Peter 3:3-4










My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)






3 comments:
Awww love these! I remember when we moved and we didn't have internet or TV yet- now that I think about it, we did spend some great quality time together! :) Yay for your move!
This is so sweet. Great ideas! Quality time is my love language, for any relationship I'm in, so I really love just being with a person one-on-one, in simple but special ways like these. :)
Love the tips! When we recently moved we never got cable and it was the best decision we ever made! It is amazing how much we relied on the TV for entertainment and really didn't spend quality time together. Now we actually hang out, do things, and TALK! Fabulous!
Post a Comment