The Proposal:
Andrew and I drove out to CO for New Year's and to visit my brother and sister. We had been gone about a week. For some reason I was convinced Andrew was going to propose on New Year's Eve, and when he didn't I was super bummed. I had a talk with my sister-in-law about being patient waiting, and felt better after that. A few days later Andrew and I went on a walk to 'see the sunset'. I again wondered if he was going to propose. So I suggested that we take my brother's dog. I thought- if he says 'yes' he wasn't going to propose because it would be awkward with the dog there. If he said 'no' he might propose. Anyway, he said yes we'd take the dog, so I relaxed and enjoyed our walk. We walk to a nearby park and sit on a table talking. Andrew started talking about how he loved me and hoped I'd make him really happy someday. It was odd because it was proposing words but he was sitting next to me at the table. So I said 'maybe I will-maybe I won't!" It was getting cold so I asked if he was ready to go. We stand up, he hugs me, and tells me he's not ready. Then he gets down and says he loves me, and will I make him the happiest man in the world and marry him. I asked him if he was sure! And he said yes- and I said yes! We walked back to the house and showed my brother and sister-in-law. She was so surprized because we'd just talked about waiting 2 days before she dropped her can of dog food on the ground! And we all went out to dinner and made our phone calls :)
The Pickles:
Running out of time. My photographer was so helpful. She made ALL the wedding bouquets and like 12 boutineers in a few hours. And my bouquet was GORGEOUS!We made the seating chart, but it got left at home an hour away in the printer. People just found their own seats on this one. I was disappointed b/c I don't like weddings like that, but oh well.
One side of the hall ran out of food and didn't tell people to go to the other side- so we had a few tables get no food. Unfortunately, this did not get solved b/c no one wanted to complain and so I didn't even know for months! :( but when I found out I did call the caterer and tell her how upset I was, and she said all those people got fired
Tips for Brides:
1. get enough sleep. I did not, and everyone told me I looked tired. Cucumbers on the eyelids can help, but not do it all!2. lose weight, I wish I would've worked harder on this. I love my pictures, but I don't like that my memories from that day include those chubby cheeks!
3. hire more help. I had people VERY generously give of their time to help set up and take down my wedding. My mom, women from my church, and I am very grateful. But I WISH that I would have spent a couple hunderd dollars to hire some high school kid or someone to do that work so my guests could have enjoyed the wedding and relaxed. That's probably my biggest one.
4. someone told me when I was right about to walk down the aisle- to pause- stand there 30 secs and take it all in. I tried to do this. But my eyes focused in on Andrew and I was like sprinting towards the alter. But it would have been nice to look around and see everyone who came to share the special day
5. go around and greet everyone at your reception. We did not want to do this- so we didn't. HUGE regret. Those poeple came to support you, they deserve a hello. Now sometimes I can barely remember who was even there because I was too selfish to walk around and greet them. Do it.
6. finally, relax and enjoy the day!
Such wonderful advice! Thank you Anne for sharing your story and experiences with everyone! :)
Photography by Sarah Christine Photography
Submitted via Two Bright Lights
We love because he first loved us. - 1 John 4:19
















My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)
2 comments:
I just love how you describle a wedding pickle in each real wedding post. What great insight to offer couples!
This post has so many helpful hints in it. Like Aleah I love that you include the 'pickels' too! I think Anne looked just perfect the way she was :) xo
Post a Comment