"When's the date? I'll have to make sure I'm off so I can make it!"
"Do you need my address for the invite?"
"When are you sending invites out? I haven't gotten mine yet!"
"I can't wait for your wedding! You are inviting me right?"
No problem if they come from people you truly intend to invite. What about the ones who you have no intention at all to invite?
The Pickle: Dealing with telling people they aren't invited.
The Solution: First of all, how rude right? How dare that person assume they are invited when you haven't sent them an invite or even sent out invites at all yet?
While it can be rude, they don't mean to be. They are happy for you. Can you blame them? Deep down people know you can't invite everyone you have ever known that you care about or who cares about you. If a person is petty for not being invited, perhaps there is your good reason for not having them there. If a person truly cares, they will be understanding and happy for you and your big day!
Here are my suggestions for what you can say:
"When's the date? I'll have to make sure I'm off so I can make it!"
"Well we are looking at this date, but the invite list is still being made because we have to look at our budget."
Throw in budget and people tend to understand.
"Do you need my address for the invite?"
"When we finalize our guest list, I'll let you know!"
Whether you have finalized it or not, they don't need to know. Truth is, the guest list is never finalized until right before the big day anyway thanks to late RSVPs.
"When are you sending invites out? I haven't gotten mine yet!"
"We couldn't invite everybody, but I'm going to have a girl's night real soon! You need to come!"
This will be crucial to say with a smile, keep it light and I think throwing out an invite for something else not related to your wedding will be a good distraction. Just follow through and don't fill that get together with mostly people going to your wedding, because then the awkward questions won't go away and that person will feel left out. This would work best with a get together with your church friends, sorority friends, club friends, college friends, work friends etc. where not everyone in that specialized group is invited to the wedding.
"I can't wait for your wedding! You are inviting me right?"
The answers from the last two questions can fit to answer this one too.
Just be real, have a smile and quickly change the conversation, lol. You should be just fine when dealing with this pickle. :-)
What other awkward invitation questions are you dealing with?
But as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you—see that you excel in this act of grace also. - 2 Corinthians 8:7








My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)






1 comments:
What perfect advice for such a sticky situation!
Post a Comment