![]() |
| Annika by Maggie Sottero |
I say, go for it! I wanted a magazine gown, but I did end up falling in love with a similar gown instead. Any of you brides-to-be or former brides have a magazine dream gown? Did you end up with that gown or with something similar? I love how-I-found-my-dress stories so do share!
All glorious is the princess within her chamber; her gown is interwoven with gold. - Psalm 45:13









My name is Melina. Welcome to my blog where we get inspired by wedding pretties and moved by the Love of Christ. I write to share things that make me giddy and an outlet for us all to grow in our faith. Happy wedding planning and beyond! Check out my About page for more about me and the purpose for my blog :-)






7 comments:
I have too many favorites to choose just one :) sigh, some day!
That happens all the time on Say Yes To The Dress too. I don't have a story but I just want to say that I love the scripture that you included. :) So sweet.
So funny that you mention "the magazine gown" because that is totally how I found mine! I was looking through magazines with my cousin when she got engaged in June 2007, and tore out a picture of a dress I was in love with (Melissa Sweet Mila)! I was finally engaged in January of '08, and had torn it out of several magazines by that point, but wasn't actually searching for it or expecting to find it, or expecting it to look good on me. But then I happened upon it in a sample sale at a bridal boutique, tried it on...and the sample fit like a glove! It was absolutely perfect! *cue girliest moment of my life!*
Jen, that is such a dream gown story! I love it!
I can't beleive I am posting about my dress, but here it goes. I am a yoga instructor AKA tree hugger. I also drive at classic 84 CJ7 Jeep black on black and I love things with skulls. With all that being said have you placed judgement on me? It is alright if you have most do. But I have a huge heart lots of friends and love to help anybody out. Stranger or not. So when I went looking for a dress I took one yoga student with me whom over the years we have became friends. I wanted someone who knew me as an instructor. I wanted her to pick some styles out. We did ok together, but I did have something in mind and I just wasn't feeling it in the first bridal store. The second time I went I took a old friend who isn't afraid to say what is on her mind. If the dress looks like crap she'll tell me. So there we were in the store I had to make an appt. for I handed them 9 styles I liked and held the one I love in my purse with neither my friend or the associate's knowledge. So I go and get my dressing room and start to get ready for the assoicate to bring me something from what I gave her. 10 minutes later she come with 3 in hand nothing from my pics, but close. The first one I hated the bottom, the second the neck line.... not for me. I have a nice chest and my shoulders and arms are cut from working out. And number three closer, but not close enough. Then the associate looked at me REALLY looked at me... she said and I quote" you can tell you work out and that is obvious, and you love to cut up. But at the same time you are so gentle and I think I have the dress that is YOU" So here she comes 10 minutes later she just tells me I am going to put it on don't look at it. They help me put it on and she zips it. I said is that it? She walks me back to the mirror and as soon as I look at myself I almost passed out. She nailed my attitude and personality in about 40 minutes. The dress comes around my neck (halter)low open back, shows my bust in a very sexy way yet with elagance. There is a nice crystal line under the brest area and it is light as a feather. I will be 40 in a month, and this dress brings the softer side of me out. A total stanger there with her daughter looked at me and told that I wore the dress the dress didn't wear me. I love my dress and coolest part is at the register when I pulled out my picture from my purse and showed both my friend and the assoicate....it was the same dress that was my favorite. We all started balling. And the cherry on top...it was only $250.00! It could have been $2500 that dress was made for me and I will blow my man out of the water and all of our family and friends. I can't wait!!! 5 more months..
I'd looked in magazines, torn out a stack of about 25 or so.
Took my best friend on the dress hunt. She's in the car, sorting through the piles and giving her opinion, weeding some out. She comes across one and comments "you must really like this one, you ripped it out twice!" I actually hadn't become too personally invested in any at that time and just said "I guess I do!"
Went to Hudson's (this was before they became Macy's) and intentionally didn't show photos to the associate because I didn't want them or myself to be too closed-minded since I'd never shopped for a dress like that.
Gave a few general descriptions regarding how much pouf, how much bling, what fabrics I thought I liked.
The associate came back 10 minutes later with one dress and our jaws almost dropped. It was the exact dress I'd torn out of magazines twice! Put it on and immediately loved it.
But of course I didn't think it could be that easy. Another month of shopping with my friend and my mom (including a try-on of a dress triple the price and way out of budget that I HAD fallen in love with from a magazine within that month), 50 dresses later I finally decided mom had to see the first dress. Drove an hour to find a shop in her state that carried the sample, and it was declared the winner!
10 years later, I would likely buy the same dress (or perhaps a very slightly updated/ modern version of it) again.
Ahh! These stories make me giddy! Thank you ladies for sharing! I love hearing happy ending dress stories. Only a girl can understand! lol. :)
Anonymous, Congrats on your dress and getting married in 5 months!
Kate, I love that you said you would likely get the same dress. It got me thinking and I can't even say that I would! That is so cool!
Post a Comment